Monday, September 8, 2008

Bad Dreams

Marcus doesn't have to work today, so I got up alone. As I was getting dressed, he mumbled sleepily, "How did you sleep?"

"I dreamt that my brother was dead."

He sat straight up in bed, suddenly awake. "So did I."

I looked at him. "How did he die?"

"He was shot."

I sat down on the bed with him, put a hand on his shoulder, kissed him. "I have to go to work," I said.

"How did he die in your dream?" he asked.

"I don't know. He was killed in the line of duty. I don't know any more than that."

..............

I'm in a bad mood. It's not the first time that I've dreamed about the death of someone I love, and I know it won't be the last time. But dreams like that just make me think about all of the fucked-up, terrible dreams I've had over the years. The ones that are much, much, much worse than the one I had last night. You wouldn't think that there COULD be a dream much worse than that of my little brother, a 22-year-old rookie cop, being murdered...but there are. Oh, yes.

4 comments:

Girl in the Dirt said...

I didn't know you had nightmares. I do too. They're very gory and bloody and I wake up and feel sick because there was such violence all night. :( Maybe we need to start a nightmare support group. Have you called your brother today?

August said...

On the scale of bad dreams, last night's dream ranked at Merely Unpleasant. The ones I truly consider to be nightmares are much more awful, and not because they are gory. They aren't. They're just...sick.

Marcus texted him this morning and he texted back. He's fine.

Girl in the Dirt said...

Well I want to know about them. Email me. PS - FertilityFriend is kind of a jerk. Want me to smack it around? :)

Lily Girl said...

Dreaming that a family member has died are the only dreams from which I wake up crying.
I work in law enforcement (civilian) and my boyfriend will likely be entering academy in the next six months so I understand the worry that comes with having those you love in law enforcement. I'm thankful to hear your brother is okay. Hopefully your day got better!

Copyright 2007-2008.