Saturday, December 13, 2008

Today

So it's been a little over 24 hours since I peed positive. I'm nervous. I'm trying to take things one day at a time - which is a great difference from how I handled my first pregnancy. During my first pregnancy I focused on various points in the future and counted down obsessively; I had countdowns for the ends of every week and month, one countdown to my first ultrasound, one to the beginning of the second trimester, and one to my due date. I had so many days to look forward to, each for different reasons.

Not so much this time. I know how far along I am (3w6d today) and I know my due date, but I haven't bothered calculating anything else. I think that my first trimester ends around Valentine's Day, but I don't know for sure. I'm not keeping track. I don't even have an interest in thinking about the future because I can't take for granted that this pregnancy will make it.

The first time I got pregnant, I was terrified that I was going to lose it from the very beginning. I knew what the odds were and I knew that there were a lot of factors that were completely out of my control. Everyone, my husband included, dismissed my anxiety as unfounded paranoia. They would use words like "when" and when I corrected them with words like "if," the reaction was often along the lines of, "Don't be silly, you're not going to miscarry, of course there's going to be a baby."

When I did miscarry, I was too wrapped up in my own head and heart to say, "I told you so." But I did think it. A lot.

And now with this, my second August pregnancy, I'm trying more than ever to just keep myself in the here and now and not take anything for granted. Today I am pregnant, and today I am grateful for being pregnant. If I'm still pregnant tomorrow, I'll be grateful for it then too.

3 comments:

Girl in the Dirt said...

I love you girl. I think you're doing the right thing this time - not obsessing. I think the more we put energy and fear into obsessing about something, the more likely it is to happen. Just do what you're doing - taking it one day at a time and being grateful for each moment.

Be home soon.

Anonymous said...

You are exactly where you are supposed to be. Taking it day by day and appreciating everything for what you have right now. I get it. :) Just keep us all posted because we are all so excited for you.

chole said...

i just wanted to say that i am happy, greatful, excited that you are pregnant today as well! LOVE

Copyright 2007-2008.