Friday, December 12, 2008

August 23rd

I was woken up this morning by a very whiny, very needy cat. Rocky was meowing and pawing beneath the door, a habit that drives us up the wall but we haven't corrected much lately as long as he waits until at least 7:30 (which is when I'm SUPPOSED to get up) to start. I turned off my alarm, determined to sleep in, when I remembered that I'm supposed to take a pregnancy test this morning. Today I am 12dpo, and even though the test had come up negative on Wednesday, there was a chance that it was a false negative. I wasn't all that excited, but it was enough to get me out of bed.

I peed on a FRER and then waited for the line(s) to show up. It took less than a minute for a solid pink line to appear on the right side of the window. A single line. Negative. Yet again.

I can't say that I was disappointed, really. At this point I'm just tired. I sat with my head in my hands and wondered, What is wrong with me? Is our timing completely off? Am I not ovulating? Are we fertilizing successfully, but just failing to implant? I thought about the corpus luteum cyst I had on my right ovary during my last pregnancy, and my failure to get a follow-up exam for it after the miscarriage (I couldn't stand the thought of yet ANOTHER ultrasound in another depressing pregnancy-centric room), and I wondered if it was still there and mucking things up. I thought about calling Dr. D and making an appointment for January, after our next inevitably failed cycle, and winced at the thought of the tests and medications that lie ahead.

And then I looked back at the test, and there was a second line. It was faint - so faint that I couldn't be sure that my eyes weren't playing tricks. I woke Marcus up to make sure - and he could see it too. It darkened slowly and by the time ten minutes had passed, I could see the second line at arms' length even without my glasses on. It was absolutely, undeniably, amazingly POSITIVE.

I have a lot on my mind right now and not enough time to get into it all, friends. But you can expect a lot more entries from me, especially now that I have more to write about.

I'm trying not to get too excited. Anything can happen. It's still really, really early, and my chances of a loss are very high. But at least we made it this far. At least I know it's still possible.

My due date is August 23, 2009. May this one stick around long enough to meet us then.

6 comments:

Kara & Karl said...

I'm so excited for you - congratulations! I found your blog when I had gone through an early miscarriage. I too just got a positive last week - due date of August 15th. I hope (for both of us) that our pregnancies are happy and healthy.

Anonymous said...

Time to de-lurk. I found your blog through stumble upon. I have loved reading about your journey. Congrats and I hope everything will work out. I can't wait to read about this incredible time in your life. I wish you luck and I'll be thinking of you.
~Alicia

Anonymous said...

HOLY CRAP!!! You just made me cry!! AWESOME. Please keep us all posted as I am sure you will and I can bet money that you will pee on a few more sticks and let us know the results. I am sending you all the best wishes and good luck for a sticky egg. YAYYY!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm so happy for you. I will be praying for you.
I have been reading your blog for several months as my husband and I are in the midst of dealing with infertility. Thank you for your honesty and willingness to share. Means more than you know.
SO happy for you!

katsb said...

This is so exciting! I don't pray, but I will be thinking and hoping very hard for you.

August said...

Congratulations Kara! I'll be thinking good thoughts for the both of us.

Thank you everyone, for your congrats and kindness. I don't know if I can even believe it myself yet.

Copyright 2007-2008.