Saturday, December 6, 2008

And To Think, I Used To Be The Kid Picked Last For Sports

I subbed for an absentee curler on a team of strangers last night, and while my team ultimately lost, I didn't do too badly and even had my ego stroked quite a bit by a couple of the senior curlers. After delivering one of my stones, a woman who has been curling for over five years remarked, "You have the most beautiful form I've ever seen on a new curler." (I'd heard the sentiment before from other new curlers, but this was the first time a seasoned curler had commented on my form.)

Late in the game, my team's skip (for you non-curlers out there, the skip is the captain and main strategist of the team) pulled me aside and said, "You curl very well. I was wondering if you'd be interested in being on my team in the second half of the season. That way I'll technically have a new curler, [it's mandatory to have players of mixed experience on a team in the casual leagues - August] but we'll have an advantage!"

The fact that I was being recruited to be a sort of newbie ringer on someone's team was pretty damn flattering, especially since I've only been at the sport for about 6 weeks! After we lost, the woman told me, "You're going to be an awesome curler. Let me guess - you've always been a jock?" Taken aback, I laughed and told her that I have always sucked at sports, but I was ever-so-grateful for the compliment.

I've been in a pretty good mood lately because I'm positive that I actually ovulated this cycle. I know, we're supposed to be on a break from ttc - and we are. I haven't touched that thermometer or microscope even once. But my usual post-ov symptoms, which I haven't had in a couple of months, kicked in pretty strongly on cycle day 15. The familiarity of my symptoms is assuring even if we aren't pregnant this cycle; I'm just glad to know that my plumbing still works even occasionally.

If something has made you smile lately, share it here. I'm all about the good news lately!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read my "It was a good day" blog for an extra smile. Can't you just smell the lasagna?

So happy to read about your compliments. It's nice when they come from somewhere unexpected. I love that kind of stuff. Kind of whacks you in the head in a good way and makes you feel amazing. :)

I am very proud of you for just going with the flow so to speak. While it is impossible to NOT think about what your body is doing, it is nice to at least know that it is doing something.

Girl in the Dirt said...

Awww, my little non-jock, how I love thee. :)

Good news: I HAVE A JOOOOOOOOOOB! (that word rhymes with 'boob', hee hee.)

Now I am waiting to hear which one I shall take...

Copyright 2007-2008.