Thursday, June 26, 2008

I Have A Confession

I am a compulsive tester. This has nothing to do with the recent conception efforts. I've been this way for as long as I've been sexually active. As a teen, I'd freak out and take a pregnancy test about every other month.

I got even worse in college. I always tested immediately after every slightly late period. And by slightly, I don't mean that I tested on Sunday if my period had been due on Saturday. I mean that if I'd been expecting my period to arrive between 8 and 9am on Tuesday, and it still wasn't there by 2pm, then I tested at 4pm. (It's not quite as loopy as it sounds, though. When I was on the pill, my period became so regular that I could almost always predict its arrival down to the very hour.)

When I dated I had a policy of taking a pregnancy test after the end of every old relationship, and at the beginning of every new relationship, and I stuck faithfully to that policy until I finally got married. I don't think it was such a bad policy, actually.

The day I found out that I was pregnant, I hadn't actually had any symptoms or anything else to clue me in. I did not actually suspect that I was pregnant. I just tested the morning after my missed period because I was a habitual tester. I was shocked - utterly blown away - to see the plus sign in the window; that had simply never happened before.

So, yeah. Testing is kind of my thing. And for the past few days, I have been testing up a storm. Today I am 12 dpo and am still getting negatives. I'm trying to stay optimistic, but it's hard when I have no symptoms and a little stack of stark white negative test results to drive the point home.

Ah, well. It's only my first month, and technically it's not over until the bleeding begins. I just can't help but feel that it's over, though.

No comments:

Copyright 2007-2008.