Friday, December 28, 2007

D'oh!

Today marks the last day of my eighth week of pregnancy, meaning that my little embryo has shed its tiny top hat and has graduated to the distinguished ranks of fetus-hood. Huzzah!

I had a real nervous moment last night, when I checked my voicemail last night and realized that my nurse, Joan, had attempted to call me. In her message she assured me that it wasn't urgent, but that she wants to discuss the results of my blood test with me.

My first thought was that she was going to tell me that I'm anemic. I have been anemic for about 15 years now; I've taken iron supplements on and off throughout that time, but the pills are huge and the habit never really stuck. But I've been eating plenty of green leafy things since I married Marcus, and of course for the past month I've been taking pre-natal vitamins, so I thought that my iron level would be pretty okay by now.

Well, I was wrong. I got in contact with Joan this morning and she told me that the minimum "good" level of iron is 35, and I leveled in at 29.5 (not even close!!!), leafy greens and pre-nates and all. So now I've got to start taking iron supplements twice a day in addition to the pre-nates, which equates to a total of three gigantic pills every single day (maybe four, if the iron constipates me and I need to take something for that as well) throughout my pregnancy (and perhaps through nursing as well!). Dammit.

No comments:

Copyright 2007-2008.