Friday, February 6, 2009

I Just Don't Know What To Say

Let me start by assuring you that everything is fine - or at least it was a couple of weeks ago, when we saw the baby's heartbeat on ultrasound. I have no reason to believe that things are still not fine. My morning sickness has subsided for the most part, but at 11w5d, that's perfectly normal. Other than fatigue and my very tender boobs, I've been pretty much asymptomatic. We never found out where the bleeding came from, but it doesn't really matter anyway.

I want to apologize, sincerely, for my absence. It shames me to say that I haven't written anything because I haven't had anything to say...and I haven't had anything to say because so far I have utterly failed at bonding with this pregnancy.

It's not like it was the first time. The first time I was in love from the day I found out. I was so really ridiculously thrilled to be pregnant. I was walking on sunshine. This time I don't feel much of anything. I'd hoped that it would change once we saw the heartbeat. It didn't. My husband cried when we saw her little heart thumping on the screen, but I didn't have much of an emotional response at all. I was glad, certainly, that things were all right...but only distantly.

I've tried to force myself to feel something. I've been telling more and more people, in hopes that their excitement would help me to make this real. I started buying baby clothes. I started making a baby registry. I've bought a book or two. And it still doesn't feel like anything.

The only explanation I have for my lack of emotion is that some part of me must be trying to protect myself from getting hurt again. Some part of me is staying distant so that if things don't turn out well...maybe it won't be as bad as last time. I don't want to think that way (and consciously, I really don't), but why else would I continue feel like this pregnancy is not a real part of my life yet?

I have no doubt that when the baby comes, I'll be head over heels in love. But I don't want to start feeling that way on the day she is born, I want to feel that way now. I want to trust that things will be all right and that we really will bring home a child this August.

Maybe it will change when I start feeling her kick, or when I start showing. Maybe it will change all at once, with no particular explanation for why, just like the day that I realized that I was ready to start trying for another baby. Maybe when I reach the second trimester, which is so very close now, whatever bit of leftover paranoia that I still have will leave me, and I can start to enjoy the thought of being a mom-to-be again.

I just don't know. But I am very grateful for all of the kindness that you all have shown me. I'll try to be better about writing. It's just very difficult right now.

11 comments:

Annie said...

Hi August - I just wanted to say I complete understand how you feel. I am currently 9 weeks 2 days into my second pregnancy after miscarrying my first after 9 weeks last year. Often times I feel cheated out of that blissful first pregnancy feeling of excitement, the feeling of unbridled joy and happiness. I think you are right in that the feeling will come back for this pregnancy, once we both realize that this is the real thing and at the end of it we WILL have a beautiful baby to hold in our arms. I very much wish you a happy and healthy pregnancy. Please check out my blog if you'd like to follow along my journey.

theroundspot.blogspot.com

Sarah S said...

Im so glad to hear the baby is okay...I have been thinking about you a lot. Sorry I cant be more help with anything else.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for the way you're feeling at the moment. I can almost understand why it's difficult to bond with this baby, too, even though I've never even been pregnant. In your situation, I would probably feel the same way. Don't feel like you immediately need to feel like everything's A-OK 24/7.

Just know that we're all thinking about you and hoping all goes well.

Anonymous said...

OK, first of all I am sending you a virtual kick in the butt for scaring the crap out of me by keeping us all in the dark. Now that that is out of the way, I have to day that I am so happy that things are going as well as they are; so happy that you are going to get to enjoy a little one this year and so happy that you are OK.

What you are feeling is totally normal so stop beating yourself up about it. I don't know a woman who has gone through a miscarriage and gotten pregnant again that didn't go through some sort of bonding issue with their pregnancy. You will bond with him/her when you are ready to and I promise you it will be before he/she comes into this world. You are scared and rightfully so, so give yourself a break and just go with it for now. You are not a bad person for feeling the way you do. You are human.

I just want you to know how truly happy I am that you are OK. Please keep us updated and just enjoy things the way they are and know that they will change when the time is right.

Big hugs!!!!

Anonymous said...

I've been watching out for your posts to see how you were going. I'm so glad that you're pregnant and so far the baby's fine. I know what you mean about not be that excited and it's like you're protecting yourself from getting hurt. I was exactly the same with this pregnancy after having a miscarriage a year ago (32 weeks now). I didn't really start getting excited until I felt the bub move - that amazing feeling, I hope you do too, but I hope you don't feel to worried and down about it atm. Wish you all the best with this pregnancy, praying for ya! You'll definitely be amazed at how much love and excitement you'll get after bub is born! xo

Anonymous said...

My girl, you have to stop being so hard on yourself. You still are not healed from the miscarriage - give yourself time and patience. Of course your brain is trying to protect your heart. Trust in yourself. Work on healing.

I love you.

Rotten said...

I know you are laying low for a while, but I nominated you for something on my blog. :)

Anonymous said...

I hope things are still going well, and wanted to wish you luck and happiness if you don't end up coming back to this blog.

BerlinBear said...

I just wanted to say that I too hope that everything is going well for you.

Hope to see you blogging again soon! Good luck to you and your family!

Unknown said...

So Cute Baby And Offcourse So Cute Mumma Also Toshiba PVT-375BT may you live long and happy life!

ivf doctor in delhi said...

cool

Copyright 2007-2008.